twitter



Written by Funn Lim


This is another impossible episode. This series is like a serial killer; it just kills, kills and kills for no apparent reason but because it likes to kill, kill and kill. I was in total disbelief for like half the episode until I had to accept the glaring truth. How boring! How dumb! When I had a bit of faith in this series it went on to bump off a character that well, I thought was significant but isn't just to create some sort of mystery. And it has also one of the most frustrating scenes in this series. Oh, make it 2. I can reveal to you now the other of the 2 is about the "teapots".

So we are back to Michelle and Susanna because we can't have Sam Hou and Kam Ling all the time. I wish it so because I a darn bored with the teapots.

By the way, teapots = trouble = Susanna and Michelle.

Anyway Susanna went to see a grieving General Man who was actually truly really grieving. He must have really loved his wife. Of course my sis asked how can he love such a woman and I reminded her perhaps in front of her husband she was the perfect wife. Anyway Susanna gave him some make up gifts and General Man was very sad and said "My wife will truly appreciate these gifts to accompany her on her journey" and I was thinking nope she won't because she hated Susanna! Anyway Susanna sadly said "Here are some more items to put into the coffin to be buried with her" and General Man thanked Susanna and said he will be leaving in 3 days' time and Susanna wished him safe journey and he thanked her greatfully as he had tears swimming in his eyes. Poor man. He also said something very true; "My beloved wife entered this palace in such a glorious manner when I was made the Commanding General but now.. now she is leaving in such a state. How fate plays us all!"

True! Blame the emperor.

Anyway all those ke-pos that are the really free maids all sitting around and making snide remarks like "Now that Mrs Man is dead, wouldn't Lady Yuen have a chance? ... Lady Yuen and General Man always had this thing going on, you think they will reconcile? ... why not? Mrs Man was the only obstacle which was why General Man was careful not to show too much of affection to Lady Yuen but since Mrs Man is dead, there is nothing to stop them now" which of course Michelle was right to say "Have you all said enough?" and scolded them.

Michelle went to see Bo Gut Cheong (they're like a couple now since she did confessed liking him and wanting to share meals with him like couples do some episodes ago - this is like the most open palace ever. Everybody knows who is dating who for what) and she told them about the snide remarks about Susanna and how she scolded them. Then Siu Shun the young eunuch was there and suddenly we are told Siu Shun is the adoptive son of Bo Gut Cheong and also very close to Michelle. Huh? When did that happen? Anyway Siu Shun had some happy news because he loves doing magic and he was very happy empress dowager was very pleased with his magic tricks and he also overheard "I overheard empress dowager will be making a decision soon on the top madam position" and Michelle said "I have already prepared myself for the worse. I expect Lady Yuen to be the new top madam" and Bo Gut Cheong teased her and said "Never say never!" and they went on to reenact Michelle's appointment as the top madam which made her very happy.

Announcement day. Empress Dowager said to the 4 heads and specifically Michelle "Lady Chung, I know of your capabilities and your talent and I have long admired your skills. Which is why I feel it is only appropriate that you should run 2 departments, the embroidery and furnishing department. Meanwhile, I hereby appoint Lady Yuen as the new top madam and the appointment date will be held on the 5th" and everybody congratulated Susanna, including Michelle.

Michelle took a gift and gave it to Susanna as a congratulatory gift and Susanna in turn gave her the jewelry she made some time ago but never did give her and both reconciled. Well, we know BRIEFLY.

Back at home, Michelle looked unhappy and Bo Gut Cheong asked "Why are you unhappy? Because of the top madam position?" and Michelle said "I was unhappy because what you and Siu Shun said gave me false hope. But I already expected it anyway. It's just that I thought Lady Yuen would want to consider being with General Man. I always thought they still hold a torch for one another" and Bo Gut Cheong said "Really? You think Lady Yuen is still in love with General Man?" and Michelle said "I think so. It is just frustrating why 2 people in love can't be together" and Bo Gut Cheong said "Well, I know something that still binds them together, a secret that no one else knows except me" and Michelle was curious and asked "What secret?" and Bo Gut Cheong showed her something and whispered in her ears and Michelle was shocked and said "Are you sure? Don't make up such stories! They can be beheaded for this!" and Bo Gut Cheong said "I am very sure. Let me tell you what happened ..."

We won't know until the end.

Anyway Michelle was smiling as she wanted to hide her birthday gift for Bo Gut Cheong (2 bowls with 2 pairs of chopsticks to signify their life together). She felt perhaps happy for Susanna that there is still one fact binding them together and she perhaps thought maybe Susanna would want to be with General Man. Bo Gut Cheong has said he will go and see Susanna and reveal what he knows so that Susanna can make an informed choice. And here comes the part that I thought was a joke. An eunuch ran in and hurriedly told Michelle "Lady Chung! Lady Chung! Bo Gut Cheong... he was walking by and he fell and hit his head and he died!"

Imagine my shock. Must be joking. Must be a test for Susanna or something.

Michelle ran to Bo Gut Cheong's body, laying in a wake and indeed, he looked deader than dead. But can't be! Michelle cried "Gut Cheong, how can you leave me like this? How can you let me be alone? Gut Cheong, you promised to take care of me, we have promised each other we will be together" and it is like an open secret their love affair and all 3 heads arrived and Michelle cried asked Susanna "Didn't Gut Cheong come by earlier to see you?" and Susanna who was having shifty eyes said "Ermmm.. no I didn't see him" and Michelle was too distraught to notice anything. She cried and everybody cried.

And yes, HE IS DEAD. WHAT?! He hardly had any role of any significance and now he is dead?!

Sam Hou was offering paper money in a temple as she said to Hin Yeung (also another very open romance) "It was Eunuch Bo who brought me into the palace when mother was taken in, it was he who consoled me when mother died. Now.. he is dead" as she cried a little as Hin Yeung said "Life is unpredictable" which is true. He did say something else I just can't remember.

I forgot to add this in earlier recap on how Bo Gut Cheong came into the palace. He told Michelle I think that he was an orphan who didn't know his parents or his birthday when he was saved by a man who offered him shelter and food and that man was a child trafficker and sold him to the palace as a eunuch. Of course Michelle was horrified to hear that story but Bo Gut Cheong was upbeat on that and mentioned he was grateful to be alive.

Michelle was still mourning for Bo Gut Cheong as she said "I never knew how to appreciate you until you have left. I have taken you for granted. I should have realised sooner how I felt for you, then I wouldn't have wasted so much time and now that you're gone, I will never have that chance anymore" when the maid came in and she mentioned "How sudden Eunuch Bo's death. I remember seeing him just that morning and he looked fine, then I saw him with Lady Yuen..." and Michelle instantly woke up and asked "Were they talking?" and the maid said "Yes, Lady Yuen was rather vigorous in the way she talked. I juat can't believe he's dead now"

Michelle at night went to see Susanna who was about to retire to bed when Michelle asked "Did you see Bo Gut Cheong on the day he died?" and Susanna wanted to lie but in the end admitted yes and Michelle asked "Why did you lie to me when I asked you?" and Susanna shifty eyes and all said "I was asking Eunuch Bo to pass an item to General Man. I didn't want gossips about that so I didn't want to tell you in front of everyone at first" and Michelle angrily asked "You killed him didn't you? Because he told you your secret?" and Susanna was shocked and asked "Kill him? I didn't! And what secret? What are you talking about?" but Michelle refused to talk any further.

Alone, Michelle was very angry as she was in the top madam room delivering the newly made costume to Susanna and Susanna walked in and wanted to thank her for the costume when Michelle said "This costume does fit me perfectly don't you think? Yuen Chui Wan, I am telling you now, I want to be top madam" and Susanna exasperated said "It is not for you and I to decide. It is for the empress dowager" and Michelle said "Oh no, it is for you to decide. You can decline this position" and Susanna said "Why should I?" and Michelle said "Let me show you something ..." and she showed her something and Susanna shocked said "Where did you get that?" and Michelle said "If you wish to know, then surrender that position to me, I know you will find a way to do that"

In front of Empress Dowager, Susanna said "My Lady, I have thought long and hard on the top madam position and I wish to say that I have never had a good night's sleep since. I do not feel myself as capable to handle such a position and therefore I hereby decline the position" and everyone was shocked and Empress Dowager asked "But ever since Madam Choi retired, you have been handling the top madam's work, so you're ready and capable" but Susanna insisted and in the end the empress dowager accepted Susanna's decision and wondered who to take over and Susanna recommended Michelle and so in the end Michelle got the position.

Michelle put on the top madam costume (she didn't fit that look frankly) and she said to Gut Cheong's memory "Gut Cheong, remember you always wish for the best for me? I have always wanted to be top madam and look at me now! I swear it to you I will find out the truth of your death. I will make Yuen Chui Wan's life difficult. I will make her life hell from now onwards!"

First meeting, Michelle as top madam and immediately she said "Since Lady Yuen you're in charge of furnishing and embroidery on the instruction of the empress dowager, I would like to listen to your suggestion for the embroidery dept for the empress dowager's upcoming celebrations" and Susanna hesitated and said "Please allow me some time to familiarise with the embroidery dept's staff, since I just took over" and Michelle rudely said "So you're not that capable after all, is that what you're saying?" and Susanna looked pissed but immediately came up with the theme of some flowers as a theme since there was so big festival coming up and Michelle immediately said "Nonsense! We already had the same suggestions since some years back. Since you are not familiar yet, fine, let's hear from the embroidery dept supervisor" and everyone knew she just wanted to humiliate Susanna as the young supervisor said "Ermmm... we can use the crescent moon as a theme" and immediately Michelle said "What a refreshing idea! A great one! Perhaps Lady Yuen can learn from the supervisor herself" and Kara tried to explain for Susanna and Michelle said "So you're suggesting Lady Yuen is not capable?" and Sam Hou said "Please madam, Lady Yuen just tookover, she will require some time" and Michelle said "Even Lady Lau seems to think you're not capable Lady Yuen! Well, then I hereby order you to take back all the previous years' designs and make a copy out of them in 3 days time and I am sure by then you will have plenty of practice and familiarise yourself" and Sam Hou said "All those years? That's 6 years worth of embroidery in 3 days?" and Michelle said "Well Lady Yuen, Lady Lau doubts your capabilities!" and Susanna angrily said "I will deliver in 3 days and I will do all that alone" and Michelle said "You yourself, alone?" and Susanna said "Yes!"

At night Michelle was drinking when Susanna walked in and Michelle said "I was expecting you, but I didn't expect that soon" and Susanna said "I have done what you asked me to do, now it is your turn to tell me what I want to know" and Michelle said "Your little secret?" and Susanna desperate said "Please, tell me where did you get that thing?" and Michelle said "This thing? Your little secret?"

and I was like YES THAT GODDAMN THING! WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING!!!!

And Susanna said "Where did you get it?" and Michelle said "It is a beautifully made little bell for infants, definitely your signature design"

Oh, a baby...

Michelle said "How can you be so cruel to leave behind your bastard child with General Man? Oh I know because Gut Cheong saw you placing the baby boy in a basket and he rescued the baby. How selfish of you. To save yourself perhaps? It is an offence punishable by death!" and Susanna said "I had no choice... where is the baby now?" and Michelle said "Why do you care? You didn't before, you abandoned him, so why do you care now?" and Susanna begged "I will do anything you want me to do. Just tell me, where is the baby now" and Michelle smiled viciously and well, she said "Ok, I will tell you, when on the 1st day of the month there's a full moon, I will tell you". Susanna looked distraught.

Next episode, thankfully shifts to other story but well, to Kam Ling, showing her descent to madness I suppose as Po Yin reconciled with the emperor.

This episode is crazy I tell you. Sudden death of Bo Gut Cheong, sudden discovery of a son, etc. We all know Susanna didn't do it and now Michelle will go crazy on Susanna. I am rather bored with this storyline. In fact I am very bored. I really don't care who is the son, where is the son, etc. All I know is this is NOT a palace. Everybody is in open relationship with everybody else. Absolutely no taboo. Suddenly General Ma seems pretty sane to me.

Performance wise, Susanna Kwan should really slap herself. She is getting from good to bad to worse. I find her performance underwhelming, just one singular expression on her face.

Michelle was better but her character is now back to square one. She is either jealous or not jealous. No other emotive output.

No comment on everybody else.

What a stupid episode.

3 comments:

  1. The eunuch wasn't just killed off for more drama between Michelle and Susanna...but I shall stop to prevent spoilers. Boring episode indeed!

  1. 对食 'dui shik' is practiced in palace, it's like a marriage between eunuch and maid. They don't sleep together, but they shared meals (hence the term), as in finding a partner to spend old age with in the palace.

  1. Yup! The union between a maid and a eunuch was very common in the palaces back then and also accepted.

    Unless the maid was eyed by the Emperor, they would have to grow old and alone in the palace. Same thing with eunuchs. It was a practice of compassion where the royal accepted maids and eunuchs to take care of each other till death. There is no taboo since they can't have physical relations anyway so that's why they are so open about it.

    Anyway, from this point forth, the story goes weird. I hate the plotlines to come in teh future. Funn, brace yourself!