twitter



Written by Funn Lim


Thanks to Kidd for the link, I now know Susanna found out Siu Shun is her son because she overheard him saying he was picked up from a basket as a baby by Eunuch Bo who was possibly the kindest person in this show. I am also glad I missed the episode where Sam Hou was praised as a living Goddess Guan Yin. That would be too much for me to bear with everyone sucking up to her for no reason other than she is nice and kind which is a really good reason to suck up to a person but for entertaintment reason, that is just too much.

Anyway in this episode 1 character has my vote as the stupidest of the lot.

I started 5 minutes later and I see Sam Hou chatting with Po Yin who by the way apart from Empress Dowager (the dead and the currently alive ones) has the best look with her lavender/purple combination giving her a softened look. Sam Hou asked "Madam, did your mother perform black magic of which she was accused of?" and Po Yin said "Truth be told I don't know. All I know is she obtained the doll and I must confess, I was the one who destroyed it." and Sam Hou was thinking very very hard as she confronted Kam Ling who greeted her as usual. Sam Hou now has a temper and that means this will be a good scene.

"Fei Yin, could you please leave this room. I need to talk to Concubine Lai" and Fei Yin reluctantly left and she said "Kam Ling, do you remember when we visited the temple where you placed your birthdate on a paper?" and Kam Ling said "Yes, on the 8th" and Sam Hou said "And you suffered a miscarriage on the 9th" and Kam Ling said "Yes".

P/s I am a bit confused on the dates so just assume they're correct.

Sam Hou then brought out the yellow paper and put it on the table, smudged a little as she said angrily "Then why is it you wrote "To my beloved dead child whom I mourned who died on the 2nd"?" and Kam Ling shocked at the sight of the paper said "Where did you get this?" and Sam Hou said "By your expression just now, I know what is written on this paper is true. You can lie to everyone, but the heaven knows which was why your floating lotus candle did not destroy the piece of paper and I found it stuck in some bushes. Why Kam Ling? Why would you lie and cause Mrs Man's death? Why have you changed?" and Kam Ling angrily said "Maybe I was very distraught and I got the date wrong!" and Sam Hou looked at her as if begging Kam Ling not to insult her intelligence and Kam Ling at last confessed "Fine! I just manipulated the dates a little but Mrs Man did get the doll, she did wanted to cause me harm and perform black magic on my child. And I lost my child! You know the palace and how scheming the palace can be, I need to protect myself, my child became a sacrifice in the fight for survival!" and Sam Hou said "Kam Ling, no one is fighting with you, no one is scheming against you, you think too much!"

TRUE! Kam Ling obviously doing all the scheming and that is with a husband with only TWO wives.

Kam Ling cried emotionally "Sam Hou, you're much too kind for your own good. You think well of everyone. But you think others will think well of me? Remember when I was a maid? I was slapped by Chui Ma Ma. I suffered so much for you too. When you were in trouble before Empress Dowager Kwok, I didn't hesitate to stand by you. I volunteered to test the needle treatment for you. I did all these for you!" and Sam Hou was very quiet but having thought for a while she said "But that doesn't justify what you did! Kam Ling, you have changed!" and Kam Ling said "Changed? I had to do what I had to do! I lost my baby, I lost my reputation. General Ma will use all these excuses to hurt me, to oust me, he never liked me. I need to protect my position!" and Sam Hou said "You could have told his majesty! He would have understand, he would have investigated your allegations about Mrs Man properly and give you justice" and Kam Ling cried and laughed as she said "Justice? Has there ever been justice in this scheming palace? What happened to your 3 principles? Why won't you use that principle in my case and not say bad words against me?!" and Sam Hou angrily said "You have become too devious for your own good. I can't let you continue on like this! If you feel a need to explain, do it before the Empress Dowager! I will tell her what you did! I must stop you!" and Kam Ling held onto Sam Hou and cried "No, Sam Hou! No! We have been sisters for so long, you must help me!" but Sam Hou refused and quietly walked away.

Pause here.

Dumb isn't it? I know what Kam Ling did was bad but Sam Hou wanted to stop her from spiralling down into evil Kam Ling, for the same of Kam Ling you see, not for everyone else. But we are talking about palace here, if the empress dowager found out, if General Ma found out, the only way for Kam Ling is certain death. Surely that isn't what Sam Hou wanted? So why talk the dumb talk like I will tell this and this about this and this. In this regard I find Sam Hou much too harsh. We are talking about her sister for over 2 decades, not some friendly maid.

Anyway Kam Ling suddenly vomitted blood and Sam Hou rushed to her and asked with concern "What happened Kam Ling? FEI YIN! FEI YIN!" and she didn't really shout. I find her lack of shouting voice annoying. Anyway Fei Yin rushed in and Fei Yin said "Madam has been very weak physically since the miscarriage. In her bid to get pregnant again fast, she is taking daily doses of nutritous medicine which her body can't take much more" and Kam Ling said quietly "Fei Yin, go find the royal doctor, but do it quietly" and Fei Yin left. Sam Hou said "Kam Ling, why would you do this to your own health? It is not worth the risk!" and Kam Ling said "Sam Hou, I know you're kind and you live by your 3 principles. But you're too naive. If I don't get pregnant again, I will lose out my position. I will be nothing and left with nothing. I know you think badly of me now, I know you think I have done wrong, and I admit, I have done wrong to Mrs Man and however I justify all that I have done for the sake of survival, I have done badly and I have disappointed you. But Sam Hou, for all the bad things I have done to others, I have never ever done anything bad to you. In my eyes, I treat everyone badly because they treat me badly but I treat you the best because you're my sister, you will never hurt me, so I will never hurt you. I can treat everyone badly and scheme against everyone but against you, Sam Hou, my sister, I can't and I won't. Please Sam Hou, I promise I will change. I just need a chance, please Sam Hou, please..." and Sam Hou quietly left.

Pause here.

I feel this is probably the most honest scene in the entire series with Kam Ling confessing her true nature and she herself knew her true nature. However I hate the fact that later scenes spoilt this wonderful scene of confession because I would have want one moment of truth from Kam Ling where she lets her guard down and truly show us she was the Kam Ling we once knew but the next scene destroyed that heartfelt simplicity of this scene when we know whatever Kam Ling said was just for self preservation even if they were the truth.

Kam Ling sat alone looking pale and Fei Yin said "Will Lady Lau tell the empress dowager?" and Kam Ling said confidently "I know her. She won't tell. I know her too well"

Sam Hou walked to empress dowager, remembering the past of what Kam Ling did and when Empress Dowager saw her she asked "Lady Lau, are you alright? Have you been crying?" and Sam Hou said "My lady, I have something to tell you, with regards to Concubine Lai".

Kam Ling still in her room confident Sam Hou won't betray her when Empress Dowager came and she panicked and Empress Dowager angrily said "Lady Lau has told me everything. Why did you do that?!" and Kam Ling knelt with Fei Yin and said "Please forgive me! I ad to!" and Empress Dowager said kindly "Please stand up" and Kam Ling was confused as Empress Dowager said "Lady Lau told me about your weak physical health and how you've been eating nutritous medicine everyday that affected your health in a bid to get pregnant again. I know Concubine Yin's pregnancy affected you badly but don't treat this as some competition. Rest your health" and Kam Ling said thanks.

Where on earth can you find such an understanding empress dowager and emperor huh? Kam Ling, WAKE UP!

Sam Hou at the temple, Kam Ling came to see her and Kam Ling said "I promise you Sam Hou, I promise I will treat Concubine Yin well and I will live by your 3 principles" and Sam Hou smiled and then said "Then you have this back" and it was that yellow paper and Kam Ling later alone destroyed it and smiled her manipulative smile. It was all an act and that's why I was so darn disappointed. I was hoping there will at least be one moment of honest truthful Kam Ling without any reason to be manipulative.

Then the story shifts to stupid Michelle. I hate this part so I shall be brief. Michelle and Susanna had differing opinion on what best to give the I believe Tibetan king or someone and Michelle recomended a golden dragon but Susanna said ordinary crane I think and so back and forth and finally Empress Dowager approved Susanna's idea.

Pause here.

I find Susanna open disagreeing with Michelle over the design in front of the empress dowager to be rather rude. She never did that to Madam Choi. Any disagreement should be behind doors since Michelle IS HER superior you know.

Anyway Susanna won the design contest and together with Sam Hou completed the task. Michelle, jealous and angry decided to sabotage the thing by cutting the crane's head and let it sit on top precariously. So happened Siu Shun came by to see Susanna who promised to give him something which that dept had agreed to give him and he playfully played with the crane as he was angry at Susanna and the head drops! General Ma, Susanna, Sam Hou and Michelle all were there at the same time and General Ma was very angry thinking Siu Shun destroyed the crane ordered him to be arrested. Michelle said it should be Susanna to be punished as she was responsible for the crane and Sam Hou noted the crane's neck was cut off too nicely so it had to be an expert. Siu Shun thinking Susanna tricked him cried Susanna was the culprit but Siu Shun was arrested and I think General Ma for once did right. Michelle went to see Susanna late at night and demanded Susanna do something, Susanna said she is fixing the crane plus she did go to General Man who was out of the palace and went to see Empress Dowager who could not interfere since eunuchs are under General Ma so it is for him to punish and scolded Michelle for being devious which she denied but Susanna knew it was Michelle who did it and in the end asked Michelle "I did so many things, what have you done other than trying to hurt people?" and Michelle couldn't say more. Susanna said she will save Siu Shun in her own way. Michelle went to see Siu Shun in prison and Siu Shun's mind was poisoned against Susanna and so cursed her and hated her.

Must I recap all these nonsense? I so hate watching this part. Michelle is such an idiot! Who in their right mind would sabotage their own dept? And why should Susanna alone be punished? Michelle is her supervisor so Michelle should be punished also! Madam Choi may have been suddenly manipulative but she always think of all 4 depts as one! Collective responsibility!

Ok lar, continue...

Susanna, Michelle went to see General Ma and explained the crane is fixed and all is ok. She also confessed she was the one who destroyed the crane AND she tried to blame Siu Shun. Naturally General Ma wasn't happy, and insisted on Susanna to be punished. Why? Because Susanna helped empress dowager and gang and so being petty, he just wants to bring max harm to her. Susanna was to be punished with death and Michelle smiled (IDIOT!) when the Empress Dowager who was sorta sick came and said "Since Susanna is the confessed culprit she comes under my jurisdiction and therefore I shall hand out the punishment" and what happened next should have landed General Ma some serious beating, why there wasn't, I still don't understand. Anyway General Ma rudely said "With all due respect madam, you have been misled (the actual word I believe actually can be translated as You're a fool which should have him executed I tell you!). What she did is deliberate and may have hurt our great empire's relationship with the foreign emissaries. She deserved nothing less than death and I believe that is a just punishment but since my lady insists on handing out the punishment which I agree, may I recommend that her hands be chopped off instead?" and Sam Hou said "Chop off Lady Yuen's hands? That's the same as death! She is an artiste who relies on her hands, how can you have her hands chopped off?" and Michelle smiled as Empress Dowager angry said "You will not have her hands chopped of. I will hand out the punishment as I see fairly.." and General Ma rudely said "I beg to differ. Madam has no right to say in this matter as it has become state affair and..." and suddenly emperor came with Hin Yeung and said "Well then, that means I could make a decision" and every greeted the emperor and the emperor said "No doubt Lady Yuen confessed to what she did, but I believe it was because she has worked too hard to rush the crane that it was an accident, isn't it Lady Yuen?" and Michelle sulked and Susanna said "Yes, yes" and Emperor said "If such is the case, chopping off hands would be such a drastic punishment as Lady Yuen has fixed the item and she is an artiste to which we can't afford to lose such talent, and so a more lighter sentence would be more suitable, so to enable such a small matter to be dealt with swiftly" but General Ma angrily said "I beg to differ, your majesty! She destroyed the item, even if she fixed it, she blamed it on others, that is hardly a small matter! She is a person in authority, she should be an example and punishing her accordingly would be the right measure!" and the emperor whispered to General Ma "General Ma, if such is the case, then I should have punished you severely for what your assistant did to Mr Lau and Mr Ko, since you were his superior. So do you mean I should have investigated that matter thoroughly and insist on the severest punishment for the perpetrator?" and General Ma panicked (like so easily!) and didn't say anything and Empress Dowager said "What General Ma meant is he is most concerned with our state's relationship with the foreign emissaries, he didn't mean any harm on that" in trying to diffuse the matter for General Ma so as to let General Ma know they can destroy him as much as they can help him. General Ma agreed and so the emperor said "Well then, even if Lady Yuen is not to be punished severely she must still be punished" and I can't remember who suggested this but I think General Ma who said "If that is the case, 10 strokes of the cane would be most suitable" and Susanna was glad she didn't have to die.

Later I think Sam Hou spoke with Hin Yeung thanking him for bringing the emperor right on time to save Susanna.

Siu Shun came out, ungrateful and angry at Susanna. He went to see Susanna who was to be caned and Susanna was very happy to see him pulled the eunuch aside and gave him some money thinking he was helping her when he came holding the cane and she knew what he was going to do and she said "You can't beat me! Your karma will suffer, you can't beat me!". For Chinese, it is a sin for sons to beat their mothers and so their karma will be bad later on. Siu Shun who didn't know smilingly said "Well, see me do it then!" and he beat her really really hard as she cried out in pain.

Next episode, General Ma wanted to some very pointless act that is to slap Sam Hou. Doesn't he know? Sam Hou can't be touched!

I am so irritated with Michelle's character. She is so darn stupid. If Susanna is to die for that mistake, shouldn't she as head be punished as well? Also what is this the head arguing with her superior in front of the boss about a design? And this Siu Shun is an idiot. Surely he must know Susanna volunteered to handover herself and admitting to blaming him, wouldn't that show her in a good light?

Can we just move on from these insanely stupid people?

And General Ma, he should realise by now whatever he does is pointless and fruitless. He may look like he is scheming to do something AGAINST the emperor, but all I can see is he is forever PROTECTING himself against the emperor, which means the emperor has the upperhand. What a failed villain.

The only redeeming factor is Kam Ling Vs Sam Hou and even then I hate it that Kam Ling is shown remorseless. I feel that scene where she actually admitted she is not a good person is Kam Ling at her most honest, her most truthful and I thought why can't the script just for that scene show us that Kam Ling did what she had to do because that was what she had to do and that she was honest with Sam Hou because she wants to and not later show her smiling, scheming, and all that nonsense so as to show whatever she said before is to manipulate Sam Hou even if she did it with speaking the truth. I HATE THAT!!!

Performance wise, Tavia is ok but I pity her because she has such a failed character so no matter how hard she cries and all, Kam Ling is such a failed boring character.

The rest I have no comment except when will the emperor just take up a sword and kill General Ma? By calling the Empress Dowager a fool he could have been ordered to be severely beaten and he should have done that, to assert his authority. Why are they so bloody afraid of this failed villain? What can he do? Smirk them to death?!

3 comments:

  1. TV series are always like this. The good characters will ask the character who has done wrong to turn himself/herself in so that he/she won't continue to do wrong even when he/she might face the risk of death or certain death if he/she turn herself in. But, it's still supposed to be for the good of the person according to the good characters.

    Agree with you that Michelle is stupid. She's not fit to be head department. She not on jeopadise her own department, but, also risk offending the guest of the country and ruining the good relationship between countries.

    She also has no brain. Eventhough Susanna act shifty when asked earlier, more thinking would on Michelle's part will be able to see that Susanna wouldn't have been the one who killed Bo Gat Cheung. She's so desperate to know her son's whereabouts. This mean that she has not gotten any info from Bo Gat Cheung. So, why would she kill him?

  1. I think it is because Michelle thought Bo wanted to expose the fact that she had a son or rather tell her where the son is and so she thought Susanna would kill to cover that secret. But you're right; if she is so eager to cover her secret why then kill Bo??

    She smarten up a bit in the next episode but the entire Michelle-Susanna feud is just, sorry to say the most often quoted word for this series, stupid.

    In fact Kam Ling herself is stupid.

  1. I just recently watched the series and one of the several gripes I have about the drama is how everyone look so casual around each other despite the difference in social status.

    I particularly dislike Siu-sin's attitude. Apart from being a childish brat who had little respect for his superiors, he was also quite a calculating jerk. One moment he was nice to Susanna because she treated him well, in another scene he basically just accused her of framing him so as to escape punishment.

    Michelle was acting out of jealousy but what she did was definitely stupid. Jeopardising a department under her control was the same as putting her head on the chopping block.

    About Susanna openly disagreeing with Michelle I'm a bit more forgiving here. She was only voicing out her opinion after asked to do so by the Empress Dowager. However she could have done it in a more subtle way.