twitter



Written by Funn Lim


This episode tells me the emperor has totally lost control of his kingdom or maybe this is just an illusion; it ain't a palace, more of a big mansion sort of story when his in laws are allowed to make such fuss. Imagine all 3000 wives with equally powerful in laws.. what a headache. And we see the rise of Kam Ling, now known as Concubine Lai.

I missed the first 2 minutes I think because I absolutely can't remember what happened or the continuation from last night's episode. What I do remember is Madam Choi visiting Po Yin to let her see some sample of something and she pointedly said very clearly "I came to present these to you first for you to choose, thereafter I will only let Concubine Lai choose" and Po Yin was very pleased and said "Make sure you remove those I chose, I do not wish for both of us to have the same thing" and Madam Choi agreed. Further Po Yin asks "If I may ask the depts to make somethings for my father, a brush holder stand" and Madam Choi said "Certainly. How about Mrs Man?" and Po Yin liked that idea and said "Yes, a jewelry box please" and Madam Choi agreed. Then Kara walked in to present a special dim sum to Po Yin, black sesame dimsum or something and she ate it and she said "I have heard of your great culinary skills. Since you're making these, you do know I like 4 varieties in every thing; 4 varieties in one dish, 4 varieties in one desert... I will be visiting the Empress Dowager tomorrow so do make such 4 varieties dishes for us to enjoy" and Kara said yes and Madam Choi looked annoyed with both Kara and the spoilt Po Yin.

Outside Kara was panicking. "Auntie, I don't understand what she wants! You must help me Auntie, I need to present these to her tomorrow! What does she mean?" and Madam Choi annoyed said "Didn't I tell you not to do such things on your own? So you wanted to please her and look what you got yourself into! 4 varieties? Oh she is such a spoilt brat, thinking she is literate with a bit of education giving such ridiculous demands. And you! You're no smarter too! What am I to do with you? All those stupid talks about 4 varieties, in the end she just mean 4 seasons. Dishes with theme of 4 seasons. That is such an ordinary stuff anyway. I have the recipes, I will give you later" and Kara smiled and said "Thank you auntie! I will check the library too!" and Madam Choi very annoyed said "If it was Lau Sam Hou, she would have studied every books on all subjects, unlike you! If it was Lady Chung, she would have known how to handle the situation, unlike you! If it was Lady Yuen, she would have offered more choices, unlike you! And you want to be top madam and yet you're the stupidest of them all. How am I to handover the top madam positin to you? I worry about you! From now on, do not attempt such acts! We must all look like we are united so you be friendly with the other 3 heads, do you get me?" and Kara looked sheepish as Madam Choi walked away.

Pause here.

So all those episodes of Kara giving people the smirk and all, all of a sudden in this episode she is described as incredibly stupid. Again I see this as a sudden change to suit the plot. And I believe she got her position because her auntie gave it to her.

Meanwhile Kam Ling was looking at the eunuch she has always chatted with, a quick check with Wikipedia says he is Bo Siu Shun but I haven't catch his name yet, doing magic but Kam Ling spotted his mistake and said gravely "You must be vigilant. You can't afford to make mistakes. You must entertain the emperor without mistakes. It is our 8th wedding day and a celebration, you must please the emperor with your magic tricks..." and...

Pause here.

I was a bit confused here. What she said can be 100th wedding day or 8th wedding day but since not much time has passed, I will say 8th wedding day until dear reader you shall correct me.

Bo went to her and flicked his finger near her ear and produced a flower which made Kam Ling smiled and said "Yes, that's it. Such surprises will please the emperor!" and then one timid looking eunuch walked in and announced "His majesty is still engaged at Concubine Yin's residence as General Ma was very merry and insisted his majesty to stay and his majesty asked me to inform you he won't be coming here tonight" and he left and Kam Ling looked very disappointed, near tears as she said "The function over there started hours ago. Surely they must be done by now. I have always been patient with Concubine Yin. Why must she do all these little tricks to deny me his majesty's company on this special occasion? He is my husband too..." and Eunuch Bo said sadly to her "This is a competetive life, Concubine Lai. Every concubine will use all methods just to gain the emperor's affection" and Kam Ling, if anything is a very determined lady and she said with determination "If I concubine Lai wants the emperor to be here, I will have my way"

General Man was waiting very eagerly for Susanna and she appeared and he said he went through her hometown or somewhere and bought her some of her favourite stuff but she politely declined as well, he is a married man and to linger in such a state is not helpful to her and General Man looked disappointed. However, Kara saw them.

And so the stuff was delivered to Po Yin and Po Yin showed her mother and said very happily "This brush holder stand is so exquisitely made. Lady Yuen is certainly skilled and she has got father's taste just right!" and Mrs Man said with venom "Of course she knows! She and your father were lovers in the past! Such junk!" and she threw the jewelry box onto the floor, which opened and inside was a handwritten note. She picked it up and basically it says "Meet me here at XXX at XXXpm. I miss you" and wow, war!

The next scene will make you wish she dies a thousand horrid deaths for what she said and such an unrealistic scene because she's just a general's wife, however powerful and she acts as if she is the empress dowager. Again Sam Hou seems to get one fact right, as you shall see.

All 4 heads plus Madam were discussing something when loudly, Mrs Man and Po Yin walked in with Mrs Man saying at the top of her lungs "Yuen Chui Wan! Where are you!" and she walked right up to Susanna who was about to greet her and she gave Susanna one big loud slap on the cheek. Naturally everybody was shocked but Mrs Man said "How dare you seduce my husband! So you want to meet him tonight, so says your note? Who do you think you are! Have you been without a man so long that now you're like a bitch in heat?"

Pause here.

She didn't say bitch in heat per se but the words she used is a more polite version of quite simply a bitch in heat.

Susanna was shocked and Madam Choi held her and Susanna said "I didn't! I didn't write any note whatsoever! Where did you find such note?" and Mrs Man said "Hidden, in the jewelry box you made!" and Susanna said "All the items were delivered to Concubine Yin before it reaches you. Surely if I were to write a note meant for General Man I wouldn't do so openly. And I wouldn't have done that. I am resigned to my fate and I did no such things" and Madam Choi said "Are you sure Lady Yuen was the one who wrote the note?" and Mrs Man said "Of course all of you will back up each other! I have no doubt! I have the evidence!" and she threw the box onto the floor with the note and Sam Hou took the note and Mrs Man said to Michelle "You were the one who told me of their past relationship, surely this is evidence enough of this woman trying to seduce my husband!" and Michelle said "I don't deny I said so but don't you think to accuse someone based on a handwritten note is a bit too much?" and Sam Hou said "The note gives no identity and it could have been written by anyone. Moreover, I entered this palace from the age of 6 and has dealt with Lady Yuen since then. This is not her handwriting. Further everyone knows General Man has an important function tonight and so it would be ridiculous to invite someone for a rendezvous when this person knows General Man won't be able to make it" and all agreed and Mrs Man said "If not her, then who?!" and Madam Choi saw the note and recognised it as Kara's handwriting and she looked sheepish and Madam Choi said "It doesn't matter who. We will investigate" but Mrs Man haven't said enough and said "You all think I don't know all of you? You see my husband as an attractive powerful man, all of you had never felt the touch of a man will certainly crave such intimacies. You have all lived in the palace since young and now that you're confronted with a virile man, you are all in lust with my husband and act like bitches in heat!" and woahhh... all of them stared at Mrs Man with such angry laser beam eyes and Sam Hou said the one thing this series sort of forgotten.. "Mrs Man, if you're not pleased with what we said, we are under the management of the Empress Dowager and you can take this up with her if you so please" and Po Yin did say "That is not necessary.." but arrogantly and so Mrs Man said loudly "You all be careful. You Yuen Chui Wan, you take your hands off my husband!" and she stormed off with an equally bitchy looking Po Yin. Susanna was very upset as she said "I am sorry to have caused such inconvenience" and she thanked Michelle for explaining on her behalf and Michelle said "I did so so that you won't have reason to accuse me of writing that note and frankly I am far too busy to do such nonsense" and Sam Hou said "Lady Yuen did not accuse you of such acts. She has known you for so long, she would have recognised your handwriting" but everyone wondered who except Madam Choi who said "I am tired. Madam Tam, take me back to my room" and Kara who is Madam Tam did so.

Anyway, yeah for Sam Hou to tell her that and also for reminding everyone who is the actual boss. Even the writers seems to forget. Mrs Man is so petty.

In her room Madam Choi shouted at Kara "How dare you act against my advise and write such a note?" and Kara denied it but Madam Choi said "When you were little you wrote with your left hand and I forced you to learn to write with your right hand. This note is written with your left hand, do you think I do not know?" and Kara admitted and said "But the plan worked! Mrs Man now hates Lady Yuen. She can either just ignore the note or complain to the empress dowager and if that is the case, Lady Yuen will be forced to resign and thrown out of the palace so I will have less competition!" and Madam Choi was very angry and said "You're an idiot! By doing this you have caused a rift between the 4 depts and Mrs Man, our lives will be worse off!" and Kara looked grave and said "I didn't realise that" and Madam Choi said "No matter. From now on stop doing such things!"

Pause here.

I am very upset how mouse like Susanna suddenly became. In the past she would have argued and defended herself but here suddenly she was so quiet, like resigned to her fate. What fate? That of a pitiful sad lonely palace maid? I want back the earlier Susanna!! Enough with this pitiful look and opera-ish sort of acting.

Kam Ling was sitting in front of the mirror, looking pale as she asked her maid "Do I look pale enough, like I'm sick?" and the maid said "Yes" and Kam Ling continued to use the eyeliner and said "Even if I am sick, I must look my best".

Outside, she was waiting when Po Yin walked in and said "I heard dear sister, you're unwell, so I dropped by for a visit. Why? Not pleased to see me? Expecting the emperor" and Kam Ling looked annoyed as Po Yin said "Didn't you know? The emperor is entertaining some emissaries tonight and all concubines are asked to attend. Oh you didn't know? Well you're sick so I suppose you shan't be attending. Poor dear sister, look at you...I suppose since you were so used to being poor, now suddenly when given such riches that servant in you couldn't take the goodness hence you poor health. Do rest ok?" and she left and Kam Ling looked pissed. I don't think anyone told her about the fucntion if not she wouldn't have did what she did.

Hin Yeung is back.Yeap, from his spying job for the emperor in gathering someone, something. Didn't catch that but he was consolidating power. And the emperor was very pleased.

Meanwhile Kam Ling was with Michelle and sewing and she said to Michelle "I am sewing this for a special someone, what do you think of the pair of phoenix?" Michelle impressed said "You have improved tremendously. It is beautiful" and Kam Ling smiled and said "I hope she is pleased" and Michelle said "She?" and Kam Ling said "For sister, Concubine Yin. I do not wish to bear grudges with her, we are both just wish to please the emperor, so I hope with this she will accept my goodwill and leave in peace with me" and Michelle smiled, and I think she knows the real intention of Kam Ling as Empress Dowager appeared, complimented Kam Ling on her hand sewn phoenixes and complimenting Michelle for being a good teacher and Michelle said "This excquisite embroidery will then befit Concubine Yin" and Kam Ling looked appreciatively at her as the empress dowager was pleased with Kam Ling's givingness. She showed Kam Ling a commissioned painting from royal painter with both Kam Ling and Po Yin in it and Kam Ling said "I am afraid it is not good enough" and the empress dowager said "Do give your comments, do you wish for something to add to your image?" and Kam Ling said "Not me, but dear sister. The painting does not do her grace and her beauty justice. I would recommend adding a few strokes here to better showcase her beauty and her natural poise" and Empress Dowager was very impressed with Kam Ling and told the royal painted to do so.

Kam Ling was alone with her maid when Po Yin marched in and said "So you think just by adding a few strokes will add to my natural poise? My natural poise is natural and no amount of strokes of a brush will ever be able to adequately represent that!" and she looked at the embroidery and took it and said with disgust "Ahh the embroidery" and Kam Ling said "They're for you, phoenixes" and Po Yin looked at it with disgust and said "More like wild chickens!" and Kam Ling looked down as Fei Yin entered and Po Yin said "I said not to be interrupted!" and Fei Yin was there to deliver an attire to Kam Ling and Po Yin took that and said "This is more like a proper embroidery, not like your wild chickens pretending to be phoenixes. Are you trying to tell me you want to be empress?" and Kam Ling cried "No, that's not what I meant!" and Po Yin continued spitefully "You're not qualified to be even near that thought! You may dress fancifully, but inside you're still that lowly servant. Outside you may look like gold but insice you're just bronze! You're nothing but a lowly servant in disguise and .." and before she could finish her sentence, Kam Ling quickly rushed to her and slapped her very hard on the cheek. Po Yin shocked, said "You dare to slap me?!" and Kam Ling now dropped her pitiful look act and said "So I slapped you! So what?!" and Po Yin tried to retaliate to slap Kam Ling but Kam Ling held her hand and slapped Po Yin hard on the other cheek. Po Yin cried "I will tell godfather! I will tell him to punish you for this insult!!" and she ran off crying. So childish. Kam Ling quickly recovered and said to Fei Yin "Go make sure no one comes in for this moment!"

General Ma, Mrs Man and General Man all looked shocked at Po Yin red cheeks and General Man asked "The emperor hit you?" and Po Yin said "No, that servant Concubine Lai did! Godfather, you must seek justice for this insult!" and General Ma angrily said "I will make sure she diessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss"

and so they all went to the emperor and the empress dowager both walking to Kam Ling's place as General Ma pestered "I already advised your majesty not to marry that girl! Now look what happened! I want her dead!" and the emperor said "I will weigh the facts and come to a fair decision myself" and so they all entered (Mrs Man, General Man, General Ma, Empress Dowager, Emperor, maids) when they saw Kam Ling and Fei Yin, kneeling and face down. General Ma of course shouted "HOW DARE YOU SLAP MY GODDAUGHTER!" and the Emperor gently said "Concubine Lai, did you slap Concubine Yin?" and shocking moment, even for me when Kam Ling and Fei Yin both looked up and Kam Ling's cheeks were red and her lips had blood whilst Fei Yin also had red cheeks, hair in disarray and her neck had marks, as if someone choked her. General Ma was shocked too and very quiet as Kam Ling tearfully wiped away her blood and cried "Please forgive me your majesty! Please forgive me!" and Emperor looked and asked "What happened?" and Kam Ling was reluctant to say and the Empress Dowager asked kindly, "Concubine Lai, tell me what happened" and Kam Ling cried and said "I did slap sister, but only in self defence" and Po Yin cried "Liar!" as Fei Yin said "I came in to deliver a dress when I heard Concubine Yin insulting Concubine Lai, saying the embroidery she made were wild chickens, that she is a servant dressed as a concubine... that she is gold on the outside but bronze on the inside. She then slapped Concubine Lai repeatedly where Concubine Lai defended herself and I rushed to stop Concubine Yin but... but I myself was slapped..." and Po Yin cried "Liar! You slapped me! I didn't slap you!" and Kam Ling cried "Sister, I have tried to reason with you, why do you treat me so?" and General Ma said "The maid was here! Tell us what happened!" and Kam Ling's maid actually told the truth and Kam Ling cried "Why do you treat me so when I treated you well? Is it because she paid you and give you gifts to spy on me? I know! You took money and gifts from sister. Check her room and you will find rare gifts!" and General Ma looked like shocked and panicking at the turn of events and Po Yin looked slightly guilty and Po Yin cried "I did not do such things! I did not slap her!" and moved to slap Kam Ling but held back by her own father and Empress Dowager walked to her and said "If I am told Concubine Lai abuse you I will not believe a word but if I am told you abuse Concubine Lai, I will believe such words! I have seen the effort put by Concubine Lai to please you, I have seen your disgust and your reaction! My son, I believe Concubine Lai!" and the Emperor raised his hand to stop his mother and General Ma said "Well she did slapped Concubine Yin. So I would suggest your majesty to punish her!" and the emperor said "Both had scars on their faces, and it is difficult to decide who did what first. Both then shall be punished. You will both write lines from the Heart Sutra and present them to the Empress Dowager" and so they made their moves to leave. Po Yin looked at her father who gave her this stare as if to say he also didn't believe Po Yin and walked away and Po Yin and mother looked at Kam Ling whose teaful expression changed to that of a triumphant smile and as if saying "I got you!"

Later Kam Ling met with Fei Yin, gave her money and said "Thank you for your help" and Fei Yin said "I am glad to be of service to you. I am sorry I had to slap you so hard repeatedly" as Kam Ling said "I am sorry for the hurt inflicted on you. She slapped me once. I told her before I will repay her 1000 fold. She thinks she can win, I showed her! I pretended to be nice to her, in front of everybody, now no one believes her" Fei Yin said "My lady, since your maid has been transferred, may I request to be transferred to serve you?" and Kam Ling said "I thought you are doing well in the embroidery dept?" and Fei Yin said "After all these years I am still the lowest ranked there. Lady Chung is prejudiced against me and will never raise my rank. If I wish to be of somebody, I will need to seek a new mistres" and Kam Ling said "I will inform Madam Choi of your transfer" and Fei Yin was very very happy.

Hin Yeung with his dad at home when his dad said "I have invited Lady Lau for dinner. Since I know you both are deeply in love, it is better to meet here than in palace, to avoid gossips" and Hin Yeung was very happy.

I am confused.

1. I thought Palace maids are not allowed out of the palace?
2. I thought theirs are forbidden romance and yet suddenly they're so open about it??

Sam Hou, now clearly really the free-est maid ever since the mansion is now like a hotel where she can walk in and out of it even AT NIGHT and Hin Yeung in his house's garden and he gave her a gift and held her hand and said "When his majesty's rule is stable, when we have garnered enough support for him, I will seek his majesty's permission to marry you. Sam Hou, do you agree?" and Sam Hou smiled sweetly.

Well as rebellions go, Sam Hou, can take 20 years you know?

Hin Yeung meanwhile met with the emperor and both were talking about states affair when Hin Yeung said "When I was visiting the towns, I see the villagers were hungry. No food was sent and distributed" and Emperor shocked said "General Ma reported he has distributed the aid to these towns! So he had taken these aids for himself. I wonder how many more he had taken?" and Hin Yeung was repulsed by General Ma's greed.

At night he visited General Ma's place (presumably in the palace) wearing black and face covered, went to the cellar and found crates of gold as well as gifts from foreign lands! But frankly not enough crates of gold. He came out and 2 eunuchs walked in, he hides from view but such a great kung master yet again he made a mistake and was discovered and he ran out, the eunuch even better kung fu master since he had fling a dagger and hit Hin Yeung at the top left shoulder but he ran on.

General Ma, at every problem panics easily and this was no different and he beat his eunuch for failing him but the eunuch found a piece of jade Hin Yeung left behind. How can Hin Yeung be so careless?! and he said "Ko Hin Yeung! How much has he seen? Move the crates of gold immediately! Tomorrow I will report to his majesty to get rid of Ko Hin Yeung once and for all!!!!"

Pause here. He has a habit of wanting people to die doesn't he? And he thinks the emperor will do his bidding and we are led to believe the emperor has been doing his bidding. But everytime I switch to this show, I have never seen the emperor doing his bidding, not once. To me this is one failed villain who has such ego he can't see that he has no control over the emperor. I still think the emperor should just adopt Justice Pao's stance on punishing the villains; kill first, explain later.

Anyway in the early morning assembly, Emperor asked General Ma "Why did you assemble all of us here so early General Ma?" and General Ma said "Someone breached my security and entered my home!"

He said Chi Hak, sounds like assassin right? Or it can be intruder. Anyway I shall use the word assassin.

General Man quickly said "Assassin? We will need to increase security, to protect his majesty just in case.." and General Ma interrupted him and said "There is no need. I know who it is" and General Man asked "Who then?" and General Ma said "Ko Hin Yeung" and Emperor acting cool asked "How can you be so sure it is him?" and he explained "He left behind this jade, which is the jade awarded to him by the late emperor when he defeated the Japanese grand chess master, whereby I too was awarded the same jade" and he showed both to the emperor and he said "I request Ko Hin Yeung to be arrested and punished with death!!"

Pause here.

Why does he not say something else other than punished with death!! I mean come on, why must Hin Yeung be punished without a proper investigation? Just because he entered his home without permission. But the emperor could have used this opportunity to order evidence be gathered from General Ma's place. I know the boxes are gone but the emperor can ask auditor to check deeper. For me this is General Ma opening doors inviting the emperor to come in and have a look around and this is best opportunity to do so with this dude. Like how Kang Xi did with Aobai and Aobai was even more powerful than this General Ma and all Kangxi did was ordered a bunch of powerful fighters to arrest him and from there open an investigation into his wealth. Because how can someone like General Ma be so darn rich? So the investigation can check into those facts. But since this is only half way through the series, we all know General Ma who has been digging his own grave lately will get away since the emperor is the one filling that grave in without taking the opportunity to shove him in and bury him.

Anyway eunuch announced "Your majesty! Ko Hin Yeung requests to enter!" and Emperor said "Enter!" and dramatically, even for me and that is 2nd time in this episode alone Hin Yeung walked in with his father in tow BUT his father had his hands tied at the back like some prisoner!The new sacrificial lamb? How could you Hero Hin Yeung?!

He walked passed General Ma (General Man looked shocked as well) and they eyed each other with hatred (or as much hatred as Kevin Cheng can muster) and they kneel, greeted the emperor and Emperor asked "Why is Mr Ko's tied that way?" and Hin Yeung explained "Last night I discovered my father sneaking around and I found out he has entered General Ma's residence without permission" and Mr Ko explained "I was just curious about the new chess pieces that was given by the foreign land as a gift so I sneaked in to have a look" and General Ma shouted "Who told you I had taken an imperial gift?!" and General Man who maybe genuinely believes so said "General Ma is not such a person!" and Mr Ko explained "I made the mistake of believing rumours" and Hin Yeung said "This has all been a mistake. My father was merely curious, please your majesty, please do forgive my father for his foolishness" and General Ma held the jade and demanded "How then did this jade get left behind if it wasn't you?!" and Hin Yeung explained "My father has always been a lover of precious jades so I let him take mine to study it" and General Ma refused to believe (frankly who would believe such an OTT story, even the emperor knew) and said "My man successfully hurt the intruder on the left shoulder" and he walked to Hin Yeung and with all his might squeezed Hin Yeung left shoulder but Hin Yeung remained emotionaless.

Next episode, clearly Hin Yeung's dad was ok since it is back to L-O-V-E. Sam Hou, somehow had her leg bitten by a poisonous snake (oh why not her chest eh? by a flying snake?) and Emperor was with her and he sucked out the poison and Hin Yeung saw him holding a pale looking Sam Hou close to his chess with his hands holding hers tightly and he confessed to Hin Yeung "I wish for Sam Hou to be by my side forever" and Hin Yeung looked... mildly surprised.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, so saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Emperor selfish though.

Anyway this episode 2 huge surprise and both very well done! Kam Ling's surprise was really a very clever way to diffuse the situation. I didn't pity Po Yin one bit. She deserved the 2 slaps. But poor Kam Ling, she had to cover the 2 slaps with enough slaps to reddened her cheeks. But she seems happy with it. Hin Yeung's surprise was just drama but very brave of the father to save his son as a father should.

But a 3rd surprise is General Man's reaction to Po Yin's supposed abuse of Kam Ling. He actually shook his head! So he believed Po Yin capable of that? Even her own father didn't believe her.

But that insults hurled by Mrs Man to all the heads were terrible things to say, in effect calling them lusty women in heat after any man they can grab. How awful. I wonder when will any of these insults ever reach General Man and how he would react. I am not a violent person but for once, Mrs Man is that type that deserves a kick or two.

As for Susanna, what the hell happened to her? How come she lost all he firepower? Where is her smart aleck sort of replies? How come only Sam Hou was "man" enough to answer that woman back? And how come only Sam Hou seems to know her immediate boss is the empress dowager, a fact that no one seems to care to remember?

And why did the emperor dowager ever need to say "I BELIEVE CONCUBINE LAI" to Po Yin when all she had to so is just say "SHUT UP!"? It's like this in laws are so troublesome man! So troublesome! And the empress dowager isn't empress dowager, etc.

Anyway it is revealed by Kam Ling to Fei Yin she has every intention of rising to the rank where she will govern the palace meaning the role of an empress. She can't be empress of course. The truth is however much she tries to please the emperor, the emperor is not in love with her. She can do so many things but nothing compared to 1 small act by Sam Hou, so I can see why she hates and loves Sam Hou later on.

As for that sudden Sam Hou marrying Hin Yeung, I still can't understand how the heck she can leave the palace at night?!

And last episode some comments said Sam Hou's father was a senior official before he was exiled. I thought he was a soldier or some official who backed the wrong horse? A bit of explantion by you dear readers will certainly NOT enhance my enjoyment of this series but will certainly shut me up on Sam Hou's past. By the way the father once reunited is now missing from screen. I believe we shall see him again when he is to be killed off.

And I just realised I have yet to see outside of the palace. It is always the gardens which I forgot to add, yesterday's episode we see beautiful gardens witn tarred roads!!! So modern! And then we see some nice rooms as if decked with gold when they were yellow background with spotlight. The dress are all awesome. BUT TVB, no outside shots? No out of palace/garden/rooms? It looks sort of expensive but truth is the entire set up looks like a studio which it is, the garden isn't "garden" enough and without the out of palace shots, the whole series looks more like Raise The Big Lantern.

Aiyah... now I am like this series; repeating myself every 5 episodes or so. Anyway series is on rotation except now Empress Dowager Kwok is Po Yi and Empress Dowager Zheng is Kam Ling except Kam Ling now is the stronger one. She may be mean, she may be evil later, but this is one girl who can take care of herself, to the detriment of others. I must admire her determination. I wonder has the emperor visited either of them yet, you know to do the deed?

As for performances, Susanna Kwan was terrible! Has someone switched on her "Opera" acting mode? She speaks so much like an opera actress! Chinese opera actress!!

Poor Michelle, still stuck in same role, same expression and now less role.

Kara Hui was in fine condition even if I do not like how her character turned out.

Cheung Kwok Keung was ok but I find his performance a tad not good enough. Something missing, maybe lack of screentime.

Selena Li was ok. She did the spoilt brat well.

Yvonne Lam, pity her having to say such disgusting things but she certainly got the bitch mode on even if her character is impossible in the settings of a palace

Moses is Moses. His face seems frozen.

Kevin is Kevin. His face is not frozen but his body language is that of a corpse.

Tavia Yeung did magnificently in this episode. Like I said, I like her performance best when she is toned down a bit, don't do with big movements and stuff. I love her expression when she looked at Po Yin after her triumphant win over her.

Charmaine also did well in the scene where her Sam Hou has a bit of a temper. I don't like it when she spends her time smiling. I like Sam Hou better when she does have an opinion and say it out loud. No one will hurt her as she is you know, protected...by...the...scriptwriter.

Looking forward to more bitching, fighting. As for politics, nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! WHO CARES?!

5 comments:

  1. About Sam Hou's past ....There was a coup when Empress Dowager Kwok's son (Eric Li) became Emperor as another one of the previous Emperor's sons was stropngly supported. Basically, with the help of General Ma, the new Emperor gained power and all the supporters (plus relatives) of the other royal prince (including Sam Hou's father) were exiled or executed.

    Sam Hou's father was actually a high-ranked official (?? military) so with his name now cleared by Li Yi, Sam Hou is actually of a higher position despite being a maid.

    As for her night travels, Hin Yeung's father already mentioned, he is using his own name to invite Sam Hou over offically, Expert Chess Master inviting Jewellery Department Head for dinner. With three people together, it is certainly less suspicious than man dn woman alone. I suppose TV is explaining that Sam Hou is so quick at her job that she has finished all her tasks and has plenty of spare time.

    After all, she is now only in charge of design. The underlings do all the labour now.

    As for Kam Ling, I do feel that she was sincere to Po Yin when they both first got married. But only Po Yin ticked her off by being bitchy, so she gave up and started scheming. I love her speech about how she was born a maid and even when slapped. she can only thank the offender without complaints. It may be a front, but it certainly won her war. Empress Dowager Cheng saw her own past in Kam Ling and even General Man probably was triggered to think of Lady Yuen and Li Yi thought of his own oppression by General Ma. A battle won brilliantly.

  1. Even though Sam Hou's father's name was cleared, his ranked did not return. He's not a high ranking official now. He's the palace gardener. How is Sam Hou high ranked?

    I think Sam Hou's rank is as high as her position accords (Chief of Jewellery Department), no more no less.

  1. Well considering Sam Hou's position:
    (1) Emperor's friend
    (2) Concubine Lai's best friend
    (3) Empress Dowager's saviour
    (3) Well liked by Madam Choi
    (4) Supported by Lady Yuen who is supported by the Empress Dowager
    (5) Jewellery Department Head

    She is now more than a simple Department Head with her connections. Even though her father was not returned to former glory, he was pardoned, meaning that she was no longer daughter of a criminal which was what mostly the maids were.

    She was still officially a maid but to the people around her, she had long officially been seen differently.

  1. She is not well liked by Madam Choi. MAdam Choi in fact sees her as a simpleton of no great threat. In other words she doesn't think much of Sam Hou.

  1. To Funn,

    But to other people Sam Hou appears well-liked by Madam Choi so it makes her seem all that more untouchable.

    Hope you get well soon!